I am seeking an opportunity to cultivate my design, analysis, and development experience. Problem domains such as distributed systems, network security, scalability, and trust modeling are particularly appealing to me.
Skills & Attributes
- Expert in appliance based products, vulnerability management systems, intrusion detection/prevention systems, network topology mapping/scanning, protocol analysis tools.
- 10+ years development experience with various distributed systems, including real-time control systems, batch job clusters, and peer-to-peer network models.
- Inclined towards scalable, secure, fault tolerant designs based on modularization and clean interface abstractions.
- Comfortable navigating through a wide variety of protocols within the OSI network model, especially contemporary internet protocols such as HTTP, HTTPS, SSL, TCP, UDP, IP, ICMP, 802.3, and 802.11b
- RDBMS schema design, ETL development experience and SQL query authoring (Postgres/MySQL/Oracle 8i)
- Experienced virtualizing appliance applications using VMWare Server, Workstation, and ESX(i)
- Proficient in object oriented application design with C++ (9 years) and Python (5 years), systems and application programming in ANSI C (10+ years)
- Intimate with a variety of commonly used UNIX system APIs (thread libraries, event based callback libraries, the C++ Standard Template Library).
- Experienced integrating enterprise systems with custom agents using various protocols and APIs: SNMP, XML, SOAP, SQL
- Administrative and development expertise with myriad UNIX based operating systems, including various Linux distributions, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Mac OS X, DEC UNIX, QNX, etc.
- Very proficient with on-the-spot shell scripting using python, sh, PERL, etc.
- Demonstrating team leadership in the form of technical mentoring, design and architectural ownership and project management on countless long-term projects, often spanning many teams and time zones.
- Operate effectively in self-starting point-and-shoot rapid prototyping scenarios as well as highly structured enterprise software efforts.
- Excellent documentation, revision control, and bug tracking practices using many modern development tools (Jira, Confluence, Fisheye, RCS, CVS, Perforce)
- Actively participate in open source security related development as the creator and maintainer of the restricted shell scponly
- 10+ years monitoring and participating in the internet security research community.
- Knowledgeable regarding cryptography: asymmetric, symmetric, and hybrid cryptosystems, PKI, as well as steganographic information hiding techniques.
- Awarded CISSP Dec 2002.
Undisclosed Bay Area Security Company (San Francisco, CA)
Senior Staff Engineer (October 2009 – present)
- details pending
nCircle Network Security (San Francisco, CA)
Senior Software Engineer (August 2001 – September 2009)
- Solely responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of many products and features, including the IDS, IPS event correlator, and risk metric analyzer.
- Founding member of architecture review team which is responsible for all software product designs.
- Named as lead inventor on pending topological risk analysis patent.
- Participated in authoring product development standards and practices.
- The only two time winner of a quarterly “Above and Beyond Expectations” award.
- Deeply involved in all aspects of the enhancement and supportability of the legacy codebase.
Primary Knowledge, Inc. (New York, New York)
Team Lead (December 2000 – June 2001)
Software Engineer (May 2000 – December 2000)
- Designed, specified, and implemented a variety of high-throughput C++ STL applications in a rapid development work environment.
- Recognized with an award for team performance.
- Designed, customized and maintained the OpenPBS linux cluster for scalable batch processing.
- Ongoing network and application performance analysis.
- Designed and implemented application specific real-time process monitoring subsystems for production control operators.
- Integrated and augmented open source third party cluster management solutions.
Process Solutions Canada Limited (Edmonton, Alberta)
Control Systems Analyst (August 1997 – April 2000)
- Application development utilizing C, shell scripting on DEC UNIX, OpenVMS and QNX.
- Responsible for feature delivery and maintenance of the UNISON real-time distributed control system, including:
- Appliance monitoring
- Device drivers
- Networking and IPC
- Database schema
- Requirement specification, application design, implementation and testing for new applications and customer customizations.
- B.Sc. (Computer Science), University of Saskatchewan, May 1997
References are available upon request